Understanding and Working with Scoliosis with Dr Meredith Stephens
Course is over.
- August 5 – 7, 2022
- Walpole, ME, USA
- This course is intended for Manual Therapists.
- Course Details
Note: This course is intended for manual therapists / bodyworkers
Scoliosis isn’t just a spinal issue, it is a total body pattern! Each pattern is unique and requires an individualized approach to make lasting changes in the body.
In this exciting new program, we will discuss the three-dimensional nature of scoliosis, its etiology, diagnosis, progression, and treatment. Special focus will be given to idiopathic scoliosis and adult degenerative lumbar scoliosis. We will also discuss a three-dimensional treatment approach to create a stronger, more lengthened, and neutral alignment through customized exercise. This foundational course will focus on BodyReading to identify scoliosis patterns and basic postural corrections, breathing techniques and exercises to begin realigning the body. Techniques may be used as part of a movement session or as homework in Structural Integration sessions.
Course will include short lecture and lots of practical application:
- Review of Adolescent Idiopathic Scoliosis and Adult lumbar Scoliosis etiology and patterns, feel the patterns in your body
- In depth BodyReading of scoliosis patterns – head to toe
- Discuss the concept of tensegrity as it applies to scoliosis treatment
- Assess the relationship of the pelvic and respiratory diaphragms and discuss the importance of realigning the diaphragms for improved stability and function.
- Apply simple postural cues to create a more neutral alignment
- Perform specific breathing techniques, micro-movements and imagery to help unwind scoliotic patterns and strengthen a more neutral alignment
- Utilize simple tools to enhance lift and lengthening in the body and apply isometric contractions, ground reaction force and postural reactions in treatment
- Discuss positions and movements should be avoided and why stretch and strengthen approaches may actually be detrimental to some people
You will need:
A pair of BodyReading sticks (provided by instructor)
Meredith Stephens, DPT, MS, PT, LMT, BCSI holds a BS in exercise physiology, Masters and Doctor of Physical Therapy degrees, is a licensed massage therapist and an Anatomy Trains Structural Integrator (ATSI) and IASI board-certified structural integrator. She is also a Barcelona Scoliosis Physical Therapy School (BSPTS) certified physical therapist. Meredith has over 20 years in the health and fitness industry as a fitness, STOTT ® Pilates instructor, personal trainer and outpatient orthopedic physical therapist. A certified Anatomy Trains instructor, she teaches movement and manual therapy courses nationally and internationally. In addition to teaching, Meredith has also written articles and developed workshops for Anatomy Trains, Pilates and movement instructors.
After working in hospital settings and 10 years in a medically based wellness center, Meredith shifted into private practice. Her practice focuses on healthy aging, scoliosis and orthopedic rehabilitation. She has spent over 16 years working with people with osteoporosis both individually and in her community-based fall prevention programs. Meredith employs a unique combination of traditional physical therapy with structural integration, fascial movement training and Pilates. She combines evidence-based practice with clinical experience in her treatments and classes. When working with people with scoliosis, she integrates her training as a Schroth BSPTS therapist with ATSI approaches to design individualized exercise and therapy programs for people to help unwind their patterns, reduce pain and develop a stronger more neutral spine.
|Dates||Aug 5 – 7, 2022|
|Location||Walpole, ME, USA|
|Venue||Anatomy Trains Classroom|
|Address||180 Clark's Cove RD|
Walpole, ME, USA
9:00 am – 5:00 pm each day (1 hr for lunch)
|Tuition||$650 until July 5th, 2022 / $750 thereafter|
|Credits Earned||21 CEs NCBTMB, pending; 21 CEs IASI|
|Cancellation Fee||Up to 30 days prior, full refund less $100 admin fee; less than 30 days prior, nonrefundable.|
or live chat on our website
Get in touch if you have questions about this course.