Understanding and Working with Scoliosis with Dr Meredith Stephens
11 spots left
- Course Details
Early bird price of $450 held until June 25, 2021. $550 thereafter.
Scoliosis isn’t just a spinal issue, it is a total body pattern! Each pattern is unique and requires an individualized approach to make lasting changes in the body.
In this exciting new program, we will discuss the three-dimensional nature of scoliosis, its etiology, diagnosis, progression, and treatment. Special focus will be given to idiopathic scoliosis and adult degenerative lumbar scoliosis. We will also discuss a three-dimensional treatment approach to create a stronger, more lengthened, and neutral alignment through customized exercise. This foundational course will focus on BodyReading to identify scoliosis patterns and basic postural corrections, breathing techniques and exercises to begin realigning the body. Techniques may be used as part of a movement session or as homework in Structural Integration sessions.
Course will include short lecture and lots of practical application:
- Review of Adolescent Idiopathic Scoliosis and Adult lumbar Scoliosis etiology and patterns, feel the patterns in your body
- In depth BodyReading of scoliosis patterns – head to toe
- Discuss the concept of tensegrity as it applies to scoliosis treatment
- Assess the relationship of the pelvic and respiratory diaphragms and discuss the importance of realigning the diaphragms for improved stability and function.
- Apply simple postural cues to create a more neutral alignment
- Perform specific breathing techniques, micro-movements and imagery to help unwind scoliotic patterns and strengthen a more neutral alignment
- Utilize simple tools to enhance lift and lengthening in the body and apply isometric contractions, ground reaction force and postural reactions in treatment
- Discuss positions and movements should be avoided and why stretch and strengthen approaches may actually be detrimental to some people
You will need:
A pair of BodyReading sticks (provided by instructor)
Meredith Stephens, DPT, MS, PT, LMT, BCSI holds a BS in exercise physiology, Masters and Doctor of Physical Therapy degrees, is a licensed massage therapist and an Anatomy Trains Structural Integrator (ATSI) and IASI board-certified structural integrator. She is also a Barcelona Scoliosis Physical Therapy School (BSPTS) certified physical therapist. Meredith has over 20 years in the health and fitness industry as a fitness, STOTT ® Pilates instructor, personal trainer and outpatient orthopedic physical therapist. A certified Anatomy Trains instructor, she teaches movement and manual therapy courses nationally and internationally. In addition to teaching, Meredith has also written articles and developed workshops for Anatomy Trains, Pilates and movement instructors.
After working in hospital settings and 10 years in a medically based wellness center, Meredith shifted into private practice. Her practice focuses on healthy aging, scoliosis and orthopedic rehabilitation. She has spent over 16 years working with people with osteoporosis both individually and in her community-based fall prevention programs. Meredith employs a unique combination of traditional physical therapy with structural integration, fascial movement training and Pilates. She combines evidence-based practice with clinical experience in her treatments and classes. When working with people with scoliosis, she integrates her training as a Schroth BSPTS therapist with ATSI approaches to design individualized exercise and therapy programs for people to help unwind their patterns, reduce pain and develop a stronger more neutral spine.
Anatomy Trains Covid-19 Compliance Policy for in-person courses, Summer Program in Maine 2021.
Thank you for your interest in attending Anatomy Trains’ inspiring summer program. We have been running infection free manual therapy certification programs in Structural Integration in 2020/21, and our intention is to continue to provide a safe and healthy experience for students, teachers, and all involved, following Maine CDC and DHHS guidelines. Maine currently has the highest percentage of population vaccinated, and the lowest COVID infection rate in the United States. To continue to reduce the risk of infection we are requiring all students to provide proof of vaccination as a prerequisite to attend our 2021 Maine based summer program. As of May 24th, 2021, Maine no longer requires vaccinated individuals to wear masks indoors.
Further details will be provided upon registration. You may request a copy of our Covid-19 student waiver in advance by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
We want you to feel safe and comfortable attending our classes this summer. We have some general guidelines in place to ensure student and community safety as we happily gather again for in-person courses.
- Anatomy Trains will comply with all local public health guidelines in place at the time of class
- Anatomy Trains will require proof of vaccination against Covid-19 for all students and teachers
- Students will be asked to comply with a brief health screening before entering the classroom
- Persons with confirmed or suspected cases of Covid-19 will not be admitted to the classroom and / or asked to leave and quarantine
- We reserve the right to implement for further measures to ensure the safety of our staff and participants
- We reserve the right in our discretion to cancel any event, even if not required by local or national public health authorities
|Dates||Jul 25 – 26, 2021|
|Location||Walpole, ME, USA|
|Venue||Anatomy Trains Classroom|
|Address||180 Clark's Cove RD|
Walpole, ME, USA
9:00 am – 5:00 pm each day (1 hr for lunch)
|Tuition||$450 / $550 after June 25, 2021|
|Credits Earned||14 CEs NCBTMB, pending; 14 CEs IASI|
|Cancellation Fee||Up to 30 days prior, full refund less $100 admin fee; less than 30 days prior, nonrefundable.|
or live chat on our website
Get in touch if you have questions about this course.