Understanding and Working with Osteoporosis with Dr Meredith Stephens
4 spots left
- Course Details
Osteoporosis affects over 200 million people worldwide. It is estimated that 1 in 3 women and 1 in 5 men will suffer an osteoporosis related fracture in their lifetime. Fractures are a major cause of pain, disability and death. Often our clients know very little about their condition, are confused about what they can do for themselves and are afraid that they may fracture. As first line health workers, we are in an optimal position to educate clients and help them make informed decisions about their osteoporosis.
This small group workshop combines short lectures and lots of practical lab experiences. We will:
- Review FRAX and bone mineral density test interpretation so you can explain it to your clients
- Perform BodyReading with special emphasis on spinal patterns such as kyphosis, kypholordosis
- Practice simple assessments to establish baseline and client progress in posture, balance, functional movements and biomechanics.
- Give interoceptive and proprioceptive experiential training to enhance your client’s postural awareness, the first step in improving posture
- Review how to modify exercises for safety based on risk level
- Exercises combining traditional and fascial based movement training
- Apply the elements of balance training and use techniques such as dual task performance to enhance balance skills.
- Outline how to format your own osteoporosis class.
- Use case studies to put it all together!
Recommended viewing prior to attending: Understanding and Working with Osteoporosis webinar (coming soon!)
What to bring:
A computer or web-enabled iPad
Meredith Stephens, DPT, MS, PT, LMT, BCSI holds a BS in exercise physiology, Masters and Doctor of Physical Therapy degrees, is a licensed massage therapist and an Anatomy Trains Structural Integrator (ATSI) and IASI board-certified structural integrator. She is also a Barcelona Scoliosis Physical Therapy School (BSPTS) certified physical therapist. Meredith has over 20 years in the health and fitness industry as a fitness, STOTT ® Pilates instructor, personal trainer and outpatient orthopedic physical therapist. A certified Anatomy Trains instructor, she teaches movement and manual therapy courses nationally and internationally. In addition to teaching, Meredith has also written articles and developed workshops for Anatomy Trains, Pilates and movement instructors.
After working in hospital settings and 10 years in a medically based wellness center, Meredith shifted into private practice. Her practice focuses on healthy aging, scoliosis and orthopedic rehabilitation. She has spent over 16 years working with people with osteoporosis both individually and in her community-based fall prevention programs. Meredith employs a unique combination of traditional physical therapy with structural integration, fascial movement training and Pilates. She combines evidence-based practice with clinical experience in her treatments and classes. When working with people with scoliosis, she integrates her training as a Schroth BSPTS therapist with ATSI approaches to design individualized exercise and therapy programs for people to help unwind their patterns, reduce pain and develop a stronger more neutral spine.
Anatomy Trains Covid-19 Compliance Policy for in-person courses, Summer Program in Maine 2021.
Thank you for your interest in attending Anatomy Trains’ inspiring summer program. We have been running infection free manual therapy certification programs in Structural Integration in 2020/21, and our intention is to continue to provide a safe and healthy experience for students, teachers, and all involved, following Maine CDC and DHHS guidelines. Maine currently has the highest percentage of population vaccinated, and the lowest COVID infection rate in the United States. To continue to reduce the risk of infection we are requiring all students to provide proof of vaccination as a prerequisite to attend our 2021 Maine based summer program. As of May 24th, 2021, Maine no longer requires vaccinated individuals to wear masks indoors.
Further details will be provided upon registration. You may request a copy of our Covid-19 student waiver in advance by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
We want you to feel safe and comfortable attending our classes this summer. We have some general guidelines in place to ensure student and community safety as we happily gather again for in-person courses.
- Anatomy Trains will comply with all local public health guidelines in place at the time of class
- Anatomy Trains will require proof of vaccination against Covid-19 for all students and teachers
- Students will be asked to comply with a brief health screening before entering the classroom
- Persons with confirmed or suspected cases of Covid-19 will not be admitted to the classroom and / or asked to leave and quarantine
- We reserve the right to implement for further measures to ensure the safety of our staff and participants
- We reserve the right in our discretion to cancel any event, even if not required by local or national public health authorities
|Dates||Jul 23 – 24, 2021|
|Location||Walpole, ME, USA|
|Venue||Anatomy Trains Classroom|
|Address||180 Clark's Cove RD|
Walpole, ME, USA
9:00 am – 5:00 pm each day (1 hr for lunch)
|Credits Earned||14 CEs NCBTMB, pending; 14 CEs IASI|
|Cancellation Fee||Up to 30 days prior, full refund less $100 admin fee; less than 30 days prior, nonrefundable.|
or live chat on our website
Get in touch if you have questions about this course.